Local leaders are facing unprecedented challenges.
Women mayors are meeting them head on, and together.
We raise the profile of women mayors and their successes across the country to benefit women leaders and their cities.
In partnership with Equity Agenda, we launched the Women Mayors Network during the Winter 2020 Policy Meeting. The Network continues to meet remotely both for conversations facilitated by the Mayors Innovation Project, as well as informally for events hosted by members.
We invite woman-identified mayors to join us and be connected to other women mayors across the country.
Why a Network for Women Mayors?
Women mayors within our network have consistently expressed the need for a space where they can speak candidly, learn from each other, and gain the skills necessary to succeed amidst the challenges that sexism creates for all women, but in particular for women in leadership roles. We are excited to offer a space for mayors who identify as women to connect with each other.
The Women Mayors Network provides women mayors with the opportunity to:
- Explore the context and issues that affect the success of women mayors in their roles, with an initial focus on the specific experience of women in executive leadership (as opposed to more legislative roles).
- Prioritize equity, representation, and intersectionality and understand how gender and race can be explored together.
- Provide vetted high road policy options around intersectional/gender equity for all MIP members.
- Inform the broader MIP membership network by providing resources to allies to help them interrupt sexism and racism, address equity concerns and support their colleagues’ leadership.
This mayors-only interactive session created exclusively for the Women Mayors Network offers space for releasing and healing from the daily challenges of experiencing racism, heterosexism, and sexism and strategies for building shared accountability for disrupting these isms.October 18, 2022
Wednesday, Sept. 28th 1 ET/12 CT/11 MT/10 PT Many U.S. cities are home to military installations, and virtually all cities are home to military veterans and their families. In this session, we’ll be joined by …August 30, 2022
Wednesday, July 13th 12 ET/11 CT/10 MT/9 PT Abortion Access Briefing, exclusively for city leaders and their trusted staff Join us for an exclusive briefing and discussion for and amongst mayors, focused on city responses …June 24, 2022
New findings show that, although political violence* against mayors is common, women mayors and mayors of color face more frequent and acute incidents of political violence.May 11, 2022
As a network of mayors, we hear firsthand of the political violence that local leaders face. In May, we are releasing new findings that show the rise in threats and harassment to US mayors and …April 11, 2022
- More Women Mayors Network posts